Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nom Nom

I made a fitness goal for my New Year's resolution. "By the time I turn 33," I said, "I'll be down to ___" (did you really think I'd share that with you?). Well, tomorrow I turn 33 and I haven't hit the goal. Really, there's a lot of self-sabotaging going on here - there's SO much good food to eat here in Memphis and I own a bevy of cookbooks all devoted to Southern cookin' and my mom didn't exactly pass down a repertoire of low-calorie recipes. So today I started the River Workout Fitness Program led by the amazing Stacy Chick. My neighbor Whitney and I (both facing college/high school reunions later in the spring) got to the river at 5:40 this morning and proceeded to get our asses handed to us. Seriously, I thought I was going to puke. And we're gonna do it again on Thursday and for the next seven weeks (and maybe a few Saturdays) after that!

And inevitably my thoughts turn to food when I start thinking about shaping up. I'm already food obsessed; thinking about cutting back and eating healthier only makes me want the bad stuff even more. So while I've packed a slim-fast (or a slim-slow as my dad calls 'em), a few cutie clementines, some low-fat string cheese, a container of yogurt, and a 100-calorie pack of Mr. Salty chocolate-covered pretzels (I know my bag is protein-deficient - I need to do some grocery shopping), all I can think about is massive portions of cheesy lasagna from Papa Pia's, all the decadent goodies from Muddy's Bake Shop, and a cup o'gelato from the good folks over at YoLo. And then I found this:

   
mug cake2 Nutella Mug Cake
From Angie McGowan, Babble.com
 
It's cake. In a mug. And it only takes 5 minutes in the microwave. And according to the reader comments, it's got 1100 calories.

Le sigh.

So that's my motivation! I want to be so skinny that when I collapse from hunger, my bones clatter on the floor. And when I come to, I want you to have a cup of this Nutella Mug Cake ready to bring me back from the brink.

UPDATE: And today is the day I discover Local Gastropub makes a bacon brownie?!? That's just cruel.
 
Bacon brownie from Local Gastropub, Memphis, Tenn.
From Kerry Crawford Trisler, ILoveMemphisBlog.com


No comments:

Post a Comment